Limitation: This FAQ applies to version 3.0 or higher.
Starting from Endless OS version 3.0, Endless OS supports the ability to purchase and install codecs that can support playback of the following media in the Chromium browser ("Internet") and the Totem video player ("Videos"):
- Most .mov / .mp4 / .m4a files (MPEG 4 video and AC3/MP3 audio decoders)
- Most .avi / .divx (H.264 video and AAC audio)
- Websites with embedded HTML5 video and audio content (YouTube, Netflix, etc)
Alternatively, you can install Google Chrome for free from the App Center for support of these formats in a browser, without the need to purchase your own licensed copy of the codecs. You can also install VLC for free from the App Center to play downloaded audio and video files in these (and several other) formats.
Note that DVD playback is not supported in the Videos app, even if you purchase these codecs. We recommend installing VLC from the App Center if you wish to play DVDs.
To purchase and install the codecs, follow these easy steps:
- Go to http://store.endlessm.com/products/codecs to purchase the codecs upgrade.
- After purchase, you will be given a file to download.
- The browser on Endless OS will automatically launch the file to install the upgrade on your OS.
- Reboot to use the upgraded codecs.
Note: As a US company, Endless must pay patent license royalties to 3rd party license agencies when the above codecs are installed on an Endless system. These costs are included when you buy a system from Endless, and they are covered by the upgrade charge if you have downloaded Endless OS for free. If you buy a computer from another manufacturer that comes with Endless OS, codecs are not included unless the manufacturer itself offers the codecs to its buyers.
Do you have a question?
Fill out our form giving us more information