Limitation: This FAQ applies to version 3.0 or higher.
Starting from Endless OS version 3.0, Endless OS supports the ability to purchase and install new codecs that can support playback of the following media:
- Most .mov / .mp4 / .m4a files (MPEG 4 video and AC3/MP3 audio decoders)
- Most .avi / .divx (H.264 video and AAC audio)
- Web sites with embedded HTML5 video and audio content (YouTube, Netflix, etc)
To purchase and install the codecs, follow these easy steps:
- Go to http://store.endlessm.com/products/codecs to purchase the codecs upgrade.
- After purchase, you will be given a file to download.
- The browser on Endless OS will automatically launch the file to install the upgrade on your OS.
- Reboot to use the upgraded codecs.
Note: As a US company, Endless must pay patent license royalties to 3rd party license agencies when the above codecs are installed on an Endless system. These costs are included when you buy a system from Endless, and they are covered by the upgrade charge if you have downloaded Endless OS for free. This will also occur if you buy a computer that already comes with the Endless OS. Only when the manufacturer itself offers the codecs to its buyers, the computer will come with the CODECS.